Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?

Go down 
+2
Logmadr
Ook!
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Empty
PostSubject: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 4:33 pm

We're not christians and do not even believe that Jesus ever really existed but we love this time of the year and go off to France every christmas for a holiday. We put up a christmas tree with a collection of trimmings that we've gathered over the years, making a point to buy a 'special' trimming once a year to add to our collection.

Presents are exchanged and we always have a family meal with Gina's Mom and Sister. The spirit at this time of the year is important to us, regardless of the name associated with this festival. I was told that m,any of the customs are actually Pagan. I would love to hear more about this. Smile

Anyhow, how do you celebrate this tiome of the year (if at all)?
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 5:08 pm

I am really looking forward to this Holiday this year. Mel (Ephyra) is hosting a Yule Party at her house for the Group on the 21st, 23rd family are coming down, 25th, Christmas dinner and 26th is boxing day, when I play with presents!!! Hehehe!
Back to top Go down
Zephron
Zephron

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 6:57 pm

I have head the idea that That the date of Christmas was moved, when the Romans first invaded Britain, they decided to move Christmas closer to the Pagan festival of Yule. The idea was to get Pagans to celibrate christmas along with Yule, and eventually through propagand and all that stuff eradicate Yule from a pagans Mind untli it was all just Christmas.

The genral consensus is that Jesus would actuall have been born in September not December, it also likely that they did this with other christian holidays as well, might explain why easter and ostara are so close together, and probably the similarities in the name.

Believe it or not i heard this not in a Pagan book but on a London open top bus ride, i cant even remember why the guide was talking about it, but it interested me so i did a bit of research a few years ago, and it appears to be true (or at least accepted by a lot of people, if you count that as true. Cool )

I have veered every so slightly of topic, and appear to be in a new continent, that is probably because i dont know how i will be spending Yule yet, and frankly wanted to share my little story so i'll let you guys get back on topic Very Happy

BB

Simon
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:21 am

You make interesting observations, Simon and I too have heard that Christians attached their festivals to those of Pagans in the hope of making Christianity dominant.

As for how I will be spending the holiday season ... with my father and sister who are "lapsed" Christians and who do not or will not accept that Annie and I may have different beliefs to theirs - it's OK, we just do not talk about it and, therefore, cannot fall out over it!!!

My dad will visit the crematorium to lay flowers for my mother who died in 2000, he will then return to cook the dinner (I am not allowed to enter HIS kitchen!!). We will eat at around 2.00 ish (might make it for 4.00 pm). After I have washed up (I AM allowed to do that!) we will open our presents and lounge in front of the TV. I suppose that is a fairly traditional way of spending the day.

The thing I love about this festival is the decorations - tinsel and sparkly stuff to represent the return of light with the amount of daylight beginning to increase.

I am really looking forward to celebrating Yule with the group - let's make it a really good one! And sincere thanks to Ephyra and her family for offering to host the rabble!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 12:47 pm

You're right about the christian/pagan holiday correllations.

Yule : Rebirth of sun god (just one opinion)
Christmas : Birth of Jesus

Ostara : Strong themes of new life
Easter : Ressurection of Jesus

It's also worth noting that the feast of All Saints Day is on the 1st of November (following Samhain), the church holds a harvest festival I think the church holds Ascencion day around litha too.

I will be going to church in the morning then helping to cook lunch then just relaxing with family.

Ephyra's will be better though!
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 am

So, did you all have a good time over this holiday season? How did it go?

We managed to get to France and back in one piece, all 10 of us (Gina, myself and the 10 ratty girls). Had a great time, got stuff for our kitchen which we're dead pleased with and had a nice time at Gina's Mom's house having a meal and exchanging pressies. Been chilling out playing Conan on the PlayStation 3 - Woohooo!
Back to top Go down
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:12 pm

I enjoyed my Christmas celebrations but I wish I had been able to make it to the Yule party- though I hope everyone had a good time.
I had a simple, quite Christmas really. I spent the day with my parents and brother doing the usual Christams things- opening presents and eating way to much! Boxing day we had our usual get-together at mine with family and friends. Twas good! Hope everyone had a good time and more interesting storys to share! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:15 pm

I played board games....all day Boxing Day and Xmas day....why can't my family be Pagan?!!?

Drunken orgies are a great laugh!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays?   How do you celebrate Yule/Christmas/the Winter Holidays? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1