Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sorry I haven't been here for a while

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Storm MoonSong
Storm MoonSong

Sorry I haven't been here for a while Empty
PostSubject: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Hey everyone! I haven't been here much this week. It's been a week from hell at work and I'm finally on the OTHER side of the hill! For those of you who don't know me or haven't read my introduction, I'm the head baker in a bakery in a grocery store. We had the top dog of our Corporation visit on friday. The President of our corporation! It was a very busy time and I'm exhausted. I worked 32 hours in 2 days time. Yes, do the math, one of those days was 17 straight hours and I only took a 15 minute break all day. My total hours for the week between 2 jobs was 68 hours. Sleep
At some point during the visit, I was told that I'm considered in the top 5 bakers in the Nation of being the best! OMG! That was SO thrilling! The corporation is trying to get a bake-off challenge going in Cincinatti Ohio for the best of the best in the Corporation nationwide. I don't know when, I don't know how many people will be involved yet. Cash prizes for the top 3 spots are HUGE! 3rd place is $25,000!
I'm shooting for 3rd hoping for first! *laughs* I'lll be thrilled to just be involved!
NERVOUS AS HELL!!!!!
Anyway, It's been a very exciting, exhausting week.
I hope this finds all well and having a great weekend!
Bright Blessings
Storm
Back to top Go down
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 am

Storm MoonSong wrote:
Yes, do the math, one of those days was 17 straight hours and I only took a 15 minute break all day. My total hours for the week between 2 jobs was 68 hours. Sleep

I know how you feel there, I work from 48 to 80 hours a week, so I know just what it is like. Hope things have calmed down some now.

Congrats on all the good things there too! I'm sure that you will do well there too Smile

I went away for a few months myself, due to internet access and work. I'm sure no one will mind.

Regards

Richard
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:27 am

Welcome back both of you!! I could not begin to imagine what you "slaves" have been put through, but I hope you're both ok!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:57 am

VII wrote:
Welcome back both of you!! I could not begin to imagine what you "slaves" have been put through, but I hope you're both ok!

The funny thing is I still like my job, even if sometimes it gets a bit much. Though it does have some quiet times too, next week I have not got an awfull lot to do.

I guess it would be a lot harder to do so many hours if it was something you dislike.

Regards

Richard
Back to top Go down
Storm MoonSong
Storm MoonSong

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 pm

I know what you mean about enjoying the job making the job easier. Personally I think I have the most AWESOME job on the planet! I get paid to play! I'm the head baker in a grocery store so I put out a huge amount of baked goods. Daily I put out over 300 different baked products.....This doesn't count the multiple amounts of each individual product. I average 1500 cookies per day, 200+ loaf breads, 400-600 dinner type rolls both soft and hard style. 30+ dozen donuts of varied types. 100-300 pies. It's great!
I seriously love my job. Baking is a passion for me and so you can see, I get paid to play!
The serious hours are over for the time being. I still average 56 hours a week, but I'm used to that. It's when I add more that I get burned.

7, Thanks for the warm wishes! Yes, I'm a slave! But a WELL PAID one! *laughs*
I'm ok. Just a bit tired! Laughing Will take me a couple of days to recupe, but overall, I'm grand!

Bright Blessings
Mama Storm
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 4:39 am

Oh I love baked goods!! I may have to take a trip to Montana to sample your baked goods, purely for feedback reasons of course, Stormy!!

Loggy Boy
Back to top Go down
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 am

Well that's kind of neat. I enjoy making my own bread, not that I get the time all that often. Not on a scale like you, I tend more towards the made by hand, without mechanical aids sort of thing. My favorite flour being Spelt, mostly for the taste and texture of the bread it makes.

Work is traveling round the southwest doing maintanance on water and wastewater equipment. Yes it gets a bit grim from time to time, but on the whole it's actualy quite good. I get to sort out my own work, mostly left alone to get on with the job, and that is fine by me.

Richard
Back to top Go down
Storm MoonSong
Storm MoonSong

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Loggy, You come to Montana...I'll feed you well!!!! I'm not only a great baker, I'm a GREAT cook! Ask my kids!

Oobe,
I love to bake handmade as well, it's where I got my start. My specialty being many things, breads are a big thing for me. I LOVE making breads. I actually know what spelt is! One of my jobs is working for Wheat Montana *look it up on the net...Montana company/farms who raise their wheat and have created this HUGE company that will one day be an everyday words on anyone's lips like McDonalds!*
They have spelt. It originated in Egypt and was known as grain from the Gods for the Pharoahs. It is a gluten free grain that makes a heavier product but delicious! It's actually loaded with vitamins and very very good for you! Good Choice!
When I was married to my ex-husband we were very broke and lived on $35 a week for groceries. This is when we had 2 very small children both still in diapers. We couldn't afford to buy bread so my parents took me to the grocery store and bought 50 pounds of flour, a large bag of yeast and 25 pounds of sugar. I started making bread for us starting with 8 loaves of bread a week and when that ran out it was bread making day. Then our friends started finding out that I made homemade bread and they started buying it from us *which went back into making more bread!* as the kids grew, we went to 17 loaves of bread a week for home. I averaged roughly 60 loaves of bread a week just for what people were buying! It kind of sounds Cinderellaish ...you know, girl broke, girl gets creative, girl does well....sort of story. It wasn't that romantic, but it makes for a great story now! And...it helped me become the fantastic baker I am now!
*grins impishly* **shrugs** Tis a true story!
Mama Storm
Back to top Go down
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Storm MoonSong wrote:
I love to bake handmade as well, it's where I got my start. My specialty being many things, breads are a big thing for me. I LOVE making breads. I actually know what spelt is! One of my jobs is working for Wheat Montana *look it up on

Neat story, thanks for that Smile I remember doing stuff like that when not so well off. Though I hadn't the time for making bread, but it's amazing what you can do with brown rice, and it's cheap by the 25kg sack.

If you can call cooking an art, then that is my thing. I'm not artistic in any other way, but can make something good out of whatever happens to be available. I'm not so good with sweets, but have a few tricks in that department also.

One of my friends seems to like to put me 'on the spot', just to see what will happen. She isn't so good with making stuff up on the spot, but makes nice biscuits (er.. cookies), and cakes. I don't mind that much, by the way, I quite like a chalange sometimes Smile

There is one thing about Spelt that I need to correct you on. Unfortunatly it does have Gluten, it is 'different' to normal gluten. So many people who can't have normal Wheat, are able to eat Spelt, but not all of them.

As for the good stuff in spelt, I agree, it's a way better than normal bread. To me it tastes and keeps a fair bit better as well. One of my favorite meals is a bowl of soup, and a large chunk of bread. Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but many of my farorites are easily made, and simple.

Wow... Ramble tastic lol!

Anyhow hope all is well with you, and everyone else for that matter Smile

Richard
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 5:47 pm

I understand what you mean about easy food Richard: Some of my favourite dishes are;
  • Beans on Toast with Grated Cheddar and a Dash of Lea and Perrins!!
  • Tomato Soup With A Cheese Toastie (Fried) and lots of Pepper!!
  • A Cheese Lettuce and Philladelphia Sandwich!!

Yes I like cheese!!...
Back to top Go down
Storm MoonSong
Storm MoonSong

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:13 am

Sometimes the simplest is the best because it is comfort food. I am a fantastic cook. My family calls me a closet chef! I LOVE TO COOK! I'm great at Italian, Chinese, Thai, but mostly my version of americanized foods! I can spend all day making a fantastic meal and my family eats and says how great it is. I can spend 10 minutes opening a bunch of cans out of the pantry, throw some water in it, some spices in it and call it "whatever falls in the pot" and they put their pig snouts on and eat their weight in it and rave about it for hours! What would make someone spend all day doing what they can get huge fans over in 10 minutes?!!!!
Some of my favorite meals are Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese swamiches *my son's speak!* Or macaroni and cheese with hotdogs and green beans in it.
I LOVE chili! Ok, MY chili. I'm a great soup maker as well. That old story about stone soup...that is me. I can make great soup out of basically nothing. My ex and I used to go through the empty cupboards and just randomly pick things to make dinner out of and it would always come out great! Ok, after practice that is!
We also love macaroni and diced tomatoes with chopped up fried bacon. That is comfort food right there! Makes the worst of days much better!
Ok, I have to go to my other job now so all have a great day!
Stormy
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:51 am

Hehe I am seriously going to have to sample your food someday, Storm...It sounds fascinating!!
Back to top Go down
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Mmm... Food Smile

Simple but impressive food is always good.

I actualy like fried cheese sandwiches as well. Though that sort of falls into the teritory of food that wants to kill you. Given the choice, I'd like it to be fried in bacon fat, rather than oil. Not one to eat very often though!

Today's special was Taglitelle with Corgette and blue cheese. Basicaly so simple nothing can go wrong, and makes something more then the sum of it's parts. Anyone can make this, it's very simple. Only three ingriedients-

Taglitelle, or other pasta (fresh is better, but dried works as well)
Corgettes (2 medium ones per person)
Soft blue cheese of some sort, either Gorganzola, or blue Brie work best (100 to 150g per person)

Put a pan of salted water on to boil, big enough for all the pasta, plus room for the greenery. Grate the corgette coarsley, and chop the cheese into rough cubes while waiting for the water to boil. Add the pasta, and when it is 2 mins from being cooked, add the corgette (if fresh pasta this could be at the same time). When done, drain and put back in the pan. Add the cheese, and stir once to mix, wait 1 1/2 mins, then stir once more, the cheese will have melted and will coat the pasta. If too thick add some oilive oil, or water. Total time to table 20min, if you take your time.

Fancy bits you can add if you like-

Garnish with char grilled red pepper. Cut strips of red pepper brush with olive oil, then grill till the skin goes black, peel (or not, depending on your taste) and place on top.

Put a plate of crispy garlic slices on the table for people to sprinkle on top. Slice large garlic cloves into thin strips, and fry very gently in oil so as to brown and dry them out till crisp.

Hope that is of some interest

Richard
Back to top Go down
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Logmadr wrote:
I understand what you mean about easy food Richard: Some of my favourite dishes are;
  • Beans on Toast with Grated Cheddar and a Dash of Lea and Perrins!!
  • Tomato Soup With A Cheese Toastie (Fried) and lots of Pepper!!
  • A Cheese Lettuce and Philladelphia Sandwich!!

Yes I like cheese!!...

I like cheese too, I try not to buy too much, because I just eat it.

Here are a few favorites on the same sort of note...

Bread dipped in beaten egg (with lots of pepper, and a little salt), then fried, with either tomato ketchup, or sweet chilli diping sauce.

Breadcrumbs mixed with grated cheese and egg, cooked on a griddle. Agian with tomato ketchup. I guess this is some sort of a fritter?

I'm big into cheese and breadcrumb crumble toppings for mac / cauliflower cheese. Personaly I also like to add a dash of hot smoked paprica as well, for some bite.

Something I don't have often, but is surprisingly good. Cold mac and cheese, sliced and fried on a griddle till crispy on the outside. It's that burned crispy cheese thing that I love so much (I'm not the only one I guess).

Anyhow, hope that hasn't made everone too hungry Smile

Richard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sorry I haven't been here for a while   Sorry I haven't been here for a while Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sorry I haven't been here for a while
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Merry Moot :: General Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: