Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice for a newbie Wiccan?

Go down 
+4
Aoife
Logmadr
Julia Oakmoon
Ook!
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Empty
PostSubject: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 5:36 pm

I would like to learn about the Wicca craft, beliefs and practices.

Do any of you have any suggestions for her please? Any recommended books to get her started? Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you. Smile

Last edited by Ook! on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Julia Oakmoon
Julia Oakmoon

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 1:49 pm

I would recommend the books of Ronal Hutton and Marian Green. Not strictly Wiccan but I think you need to know the history and the basics. She should also read Gerald Gardner as he invented Wicca. She should also join reputable forums like this one, Pagan Network and UK Pagan and steer clear of anyone who calls themselves Lady Dolphin Unicorn Fairydust or some such thing - bound to come to a sticky end
Julia
Back to top Go down
http://www.paganfederationwessex.com
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Just a friendly warning: never read anything with Silver RavenWolf on the cover...it's scarey how deluded she is :S...

Get The Learned Arts of Witches and Wizards by Anton + Mina Addams...best book I ever bought about Witchcraft...

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:32 pm

I thought you might slag off....I mean mention, Silver Raven Wolf. (For the record, if you didn't, I would have. Smile )
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:49 pm

i read Silve Ravenwolfs fiction novels!!! dunno bout her non-fiction, but her fictions are funny!

im as new to Wiccan or witchcraft as much as u, so i cant really recommend anything....i've learnt m,ost of what i know from the internet or the guys off of here, lol
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:57 pm

Teresa Moorey is BRIllIANT, i can lend you my beginners guide to witchraft by her when joe gives it back, or she could borrow my complete guide by her which is a slightly mroe indepth verison. I also have one called the Craft which is a lovely book to read after a teresa morrey introduction! x
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:41 pm

What a fantastic round of responses! Thank you so much everyone. We've looked at the books available and it's a bit of a mine field since we don't know what to look at so your advice narrows down the slection to a manageable number. Thank you. Smile

Kim, your offer is so generous - thank you, it really is very kind of you. We will order several books and will probably order your recommendation as well so we won't need to inconvenience you by borrowing the book from you. Does the Willow Tree hold any of these titles in stock? I'll call this week to see. Wink
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 4:17 pm

The Willow Tree hold many books of varying Esoteric topics, and if you drop by, I'm sure Sarah or Annie would be happy to point you in the direction of a few decent ones, or if you can't find any you are drawn to, they will probably order some in for you...

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanks, that sounds like a plan to me. I'll pop in and see which titles we need to order then. Smile
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 2:22 am

I know it will sound as if I am doing myself out of some business but I am keen to know that you have the possibilty to access all resources and one of the best that I have found (and it is free) is the Introduction to Wicca on-line course offered at http://www.magickaschool.com/ - it takes a full 12-months to work through the course and, once completed (and on payment of a subscription) it is possible to then move on to an advanced course. They also offer classes on learning the Tarot, which are good too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 am

Thank you very much Lunarcraft, the gesture is most appreciated. I'm sure we will meet soon so I can thank you personally. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks

Last edited by Ook! on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 9:21 am

Sabouki wrote:
i read Silve Ravenwolfs fiction novels!!! dunno bout her non-fiction, but her fictions are funny!

Silver Raven Wolf writes non-fiction?! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Era Amunet
Era Amunet

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Logmadr wrote:
Just a friendly warning: never read anything with Silver RavenWolf on the cover...it's scarey how deluded she is :S...

Get The Learned Arts of Witches and Wizards by Anton + Mina Addams...best book I ever bought about Witchcraft...

jocolor

lmao I started reading Silver's stuff but when I read into wicca more i realised that most of her stuff was quite frankly... crap rubbish... but in a way some of her stuff did help a little... not much... but a little

I love you Blessed Be I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/vampiric_gal
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Aoife wrote:
Sabouki wrote:

Silver Raven Wolf writes non-fiction?! Shocked

Indeed she does!! I have some of her nonfiction books!!! They are good, if u like complete fantasy, as that what they are, lol
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 4:40 pm

As are her bleeding factual books!
Complete fantasy tht is!!

jocolor

Last edited by on Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:39 am

How can someone write so many books if they are misleading. Surely it is damagingfor the Wiccan name?
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:45 am

She has so many books because she aims for teenage Witches who are looking for something to believe in: in this case, she targets Wicca, and she has completely butchered it. She tries to make everythin about Wicca seem ancient (when it is far from it!) and although I have nothing against Wicca or Wiccans, I hate the way some Newbie's who have ONLY read her books think they know everything but what they really know is a bunch of Gaelic Gibberish!

[[rant over]]

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:15 pm

Logmadr wrote:
She has so many books because she aims for teenage Witches who are looking for something to believe in: in this case, she targets Wicca, and she has completely butchered it. She tries to make everythin about Wicca seem ancient (when it is far from it!) and although I have nothing against Wicca or Wiccans, I hate the way some Newbie's who have ONLY read her books think they know everything but what they really know is a bunch of Gaelic Gibberish!

[[rant over]]

jocolor

wow breathe Tomi dear.

Lets not forget, that sometimes it the only information some 'teenagers' can get. I mean, if been into book stores and found only a select few books related to Wicca and for people that have no local Pagan or Esoteric shop near them, such a the Willow Tree, like i don't in MK, its all they have to go on.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Which is why I feel orry for them: they are learning what is basically fiction and if/when they come into a group of Pagans, they would either be laughed at or told off for being so naive...

What needs to be done is a series of books on Witchcraft that is authentic, from actual experiences and made cheaply, so it is affordable and available to teens...

Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Logmadr wrote:
Which is why I feel orry for them: they are learning what is basically fiction and if/when they come into a group of Pagans, they would either be laughed at or told off for being so naive...

What needs to be done is a series of books on Witchcraft that is authentic, from actual experiences and made cheaply, so it is affordable and available to teens...

Get writing Tomi!
As you've taken it upon your shoulders to write this, i get the first copy free =]
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Trust me, nothing in this life is free...

We should be able to come to some agreement...

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Logmadr wrote:
Trust me, nothing in this life is free...

We should be able to come to some agreement...

jocolor

And so this agreement would involve what Tomi Justice?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a newbie Wiccan?   Advice for a newbie Wiccan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice for a newbie Wiccan?
Page 1 of 1