Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Destiny

Go down 
+2
StarlightTess
Ook!
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:59 pm

What are your thoughts about Destiny? Question

Throughout my own life there have been so many examples of things that appear to have happened for a reason, things that could be happily explained by accepting a preordained destiny. Things have happened repeatedly that indicate this, unusual things as well as poyentially coincidental things - all of which I am happy to share here. But first, what do you think about pre-ordained destiny?

For the record, I don't believe in preordained destiny. But I also believe things that seem to have happened for a reason have happened through a complex interaction of our life energies and frequencies. My own humble theory of course. Wink

I'm happy to expand on this but wanted to hear your thoughts first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm

i don't really know to be honest its a toughie, I dunno about destiny but i think there are things that point you in a specific direction to learn certain lessons, but whether you follow it or not is totally up to you. I always seem to end up where i'm supposed to be, the place that feels right for me at one time, like lancaster uni i needed to go there to be prepared for california where i learnt a ridiculous amoutn about myself and led me to bristol an d psychology which feels so right for me.
i dunno about fate and destiny but as i said i always seem to find myself in a place i need to be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 4:05 am

In my humble opinion, things happen for a reason but whether that is fate or predestiny I don't know.

I would like to believe that if things were predestined then there would surely be a lot less suffering in the world ... also it would be more difficult for us to change what was predestined.

Hang on ... I am starting to tie myself in knots now ... oh, darn it! ... I know what I mean!! rofl
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 2:15 pm

We're looking at free-will and determinism on my philosophy course at the moment, and whether everything is set out for us (including our own actions).

I think that factors like our past experiences and our personality make us more likely to choose one option more than another, but until we actually make that choice, both options are open to us. I therefore think that although some things are predictable and were bound to happen, they didn't HAVE to.

So although the universe/powers-that-be/whatever might lead us in certain directions, we have the choice to follow, or not to. So we have an optional destiny, as it were.

But because our lives are so intertwined with everyone elses, a choice made by another person can affect where we "should" be. So our destinies can change.

EDIT: Okay, I just read that back, and I'm not sure how much sense it makes...Oh well. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Aurora
Aurora

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 3:40 pm

hehe i havent had such talks with you yet Aoife but you know what nearly everything you say i agree with hehe! I beleive in fate in a personality way i.e. your prone to chose a certain path etc but i also believe that some things in life were definately destiny for a reason etc.
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 3:45 pm

so i was sitting in my psychology tutorial today and my tutor a dr of psychology comes out with the sentance 'you are responsible for your own destiny' and made me think of this thread. of course he was talkign in context of the amount of work you put in towards the degree ie the amoutn of work being proportional to the grade you will come out with, but made me think that this concept of destiny actually comes up every day in all apects of life. that sentance bugged me a bit wasn't till i thought about it that i realised why i mean if your totally responsible for your path and where you end up then destiny doesn't exist , and how can you be responsible for something that doesn't exist? so that sentance is totally in contradiction with itself.

sorry i dunno if that made any sense but there it is none the less.
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I've lost count of the times that things appeared to be destined to happen but I have never been able to come to terms with a view that our lives have been mapped out already. What about famine, war and plagues let alone the day to day wickedness that humankind dishes out on itself/ Mad

It struck me (well, not literally) a while ago that if all of our life forces were existing in a sea of life energies and if everything that makes us who we are was distiguishable from other life forces, almost like a particular frequency, then isn't it reasonable that these energies can be attracted to other similar energies?

So for example, the chances of meeting someone we have a 'connection' with, at the right time, in the right place and to have the right indgredients to fall in love are stacked against us. We live in a huge society with millions of people in each city alone. I think we are naturally drawn to places where we are likely to be in the same vicinity as someone we are likely to be matched with.

Gina and myself lived 90 minutes apart from each other, from different backgrounds, different education and belief systems, etc, etc. Yet, thoroughout our lives before we actually met properly, we were in the same time and place several times throughout our lives - in the most bizarre locations and at unusual times so they are easy for us to remember and see that we could even have bumped into each other at the time.

I do not think that this attracting force is limited to people. I think that objects of a certain type have their oown signature as well, so when you have found that wonderful item by 'chance' I would definitely celebrate the find but would be more likely to believ that your life energy has been drawn to the signature of the object because the same 'signature' is stamped on your life force due to your passion for the type of object it is.

Does this theoy make sense to you?

It has has been scientifically proven that people who are very close can have surprisingly similar brain waves or frequencies (for want of a better term). This is just a physical measurement. A 'spiritual' measurement can't be taken at the moment (that I'm aware) of, but if it could be, then I think my theory could be proven as close to the truth.

Unfortunately I doubt it will be proven in my physical lifetime but there you go, c'est la vie! Very Happy

By the way, I love all of your theories and views. I find this subject fascinating (obviously). Wink
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm

i'm still split i mean there are so many things that happen where people are in the right place at the right time it can't all just tbe coincidence can it?
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 5:57 pm

I certainly don't believe in coincidence in terms of destiny. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zephron
Zephron

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 5:59 pm

Ook ui found tha post very interesting, definatly something i have been thinking about.

Personally i have been pondering something whilst reading this, perhaps we dont have just path to one destiny, maybe our destiny is like staring down a long road, with a fork. Either fork we choose is still on the same path.

Another question is perhaps we think detiny is like a straight line, it may twirl and tie itself in knots, doubling back until we figure out what our own destiny is. What im trying to say is how can we reach a destination without knowing were we are going?

I have no idea were i am going and as such think that i have only a small stretch of destinies road open to view before i come to another fork, and choose which path i take to reach my as yet unknown destination, eventually i will have to choose my end destination, but until then i think i'll take the scenic route and enjoy the view Wink .

just my two incredibly vaugue and hopefully thought provoking cents.

BB

p.s.

I think this could fit with what you were saying too Ook, what if at some forks in our roads we had sign posts (read intuition) that directed us down a certain side street.

I'm reaching a little bit know maybe but still something i may meditate on.
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Hmm, interesting points.

In my mind any form of preordained destiny is just not viable BUT I know that there are many differing theories out there that would scupper my idea straight away.

In terms of assumptions made about the possible consequences of time travel for example, some would say that if one was to change something in the past then a whole variety of theories would open up, e.g. for each possible change a new time line or reality would fork away from the original one and would exist in parallel, others would say each change just destroys the original time line and makes a new one and there is another theory that if a change were made then time would naturally try to 'heal itself' by pulling back to a certain point where any 'damage' will have been compensated for.

It may seem like I'm digressing but if you consider the thoughts you have had, perhaps you can see how they would fit into some of these 'time' related theories. After all, scientists claim time is relative.

More food for thought methinks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Destiny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Destiny   Destiny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Destiny
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Merry Moot :: Discussion Boards :: General Discussions-
Jump to: