Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ALL Hallows Eve

Go down 
+3
StarlightTess
Logmadr
Sabouki
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Evie

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 11:29 am

LEGEND of the Jack-o-Lantern

People have been making jack-o-lanterns at Halloween for centuries. The practice originated from an Irish myth about a man nicknamed "Stingy Jack."

According to the story, Stingy Jack invited the Devil to have a drink with him. True to his name, Stingy Jack didn't want to pay for his drink, so he convinced the Devil to turn himself into a coin that Jack could use to buy their drinks. Once the Devil did so, Jack decided to keep the money and put it into his pocket next to a silver cross, which prevented the Devil from changing back into his original form.

Jack eventually freed the Devil, under the condition that he would not bother Jack for one year and that, should Jack die, he would not claim his soul.

Soon after, Jack died. As the legend goes, God would not allow such an unsavory figure into heaven. The Devil, upset by the trick Jack had played on him and keeping his word not to claim his soul, would not allow Jack into hell, either. He sent Jack off into the dark night with only a burning coal to light his way.

Jack put the coal into a carved out turnip and has been roaming the Earth with it ever since. The Irish began to refer to this ghostly figure as "Jack of the Lantern," and then, simply "Jack O'Lantern."

A bit of History: Superstition
Hundreds of years ago, on Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly world, people thought that they would encounter ghosts like Jack's if they so in order to avoid being recognized by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits. To keep ghosts away from their houses, people would place bowls of food outside their homes to appease the ghosts or prevent them from entering by frightening them away with the symbol of Jack's damned soul - carved or painted faces on turnips, potatoes, rutabagas, and beets.

Traditionally however, Halloween is "A night of power" and it was thought that the veil that separates our world from the Otherworld is at its thinnest. This was the one night when the dead could, if they wished, return to the land of the living, to celebrate with their family, tribe, or clan. Extra places were set at the table and food set out for any who had died that year and loved ones were welcomed. Today Jack O lanterns welcome children for trick or treating, but back then they were to ward off spirits and ghost that were not family or loved ones. This is what I love about Halloween... a night to remeber the dead.

Halloween was also a grand night for divination and Tarot card readings, scrying, crystal gazing and tea leaf readings were never more likely to succeed than on this night.

What does 'ALL Hallows Eve', Halloween, Samhain mean to you?
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Samhain has 3 meanings for me:

1. is going to obviously be the fun aspect of Halloween...the amount of parties im going to, dressing up as evil or nice [this year im an evil faerie, a devil-ess] Seeing the lil kids all dressed up and looking soooo cute trick or treating and having fun getting themselves spooked.

2. A remembrance of the dead. Death is something that i highly repect and am terrified of and i'm a strong believer in remembering the dead.I LOVE walking through the graveyard as a short cut and walking past all the old tombstones...afterall, one day, that'll be us, with eventually no-one there to remember us, our lives and such.

3. On Halloween about 5 years ago, was the day i satrted looking into Paganism and Wicca and such....and as sad as it may seem, it's all thanks to the film the Craft, lol. So its sort of an anniversary as such for me aswell.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Being a Necromancer of sorts, I am really looking forward to this Halloween...The veil between dimmensions is already thinned, so if on Wednesday at the party, Kim, I suddenly freeze up and pass out, leave me, I'm exploring!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:01 pm

oo thats ok, i'll wait till you are in that state till i break out the toffee apples i'm gonna make then Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:08 pm

And people call ME Evil Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad

Logmadr
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:10 pm

didn't you know thats my new name
evilstarlight Razz Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Evie

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

affraid B O O
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:22 pm

DarkStar...I think that's quite a nice name...I knew a very powerful witch a few years ago called NightMare...a good name if you can pull it off...

Logmadr
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:20 am

there is no way i could pull that name off lol, I might be anightmare in terms of my clumsiness and total dorkiness lol but not really any other way. can you be a nightmare by smiling too much?
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 10:02 am

If you do it in a creepy way like The Gentlemen off of buffy hehe my brother couldnt even look at them without being completely freak out (p.s. he's older than me hehe!) x
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:23 pm

I just thought everyone know, me and Admin Annie carved a pumkin for The Willow Tree today...It rocks!!

It's a basic shape like triangles for eyes and mouth, but I went around the edges with green and purple sparkly pens...

Then I thought it was a good idea to stick my athame in the side of it's head and put gold blood around the 'wound" Smile

Looks amazing, if you're passing The Willow Tree, look in the window!!

Smile

Logmadr..
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Its so funny when i was in my teens i loved to go out trick or treating getting up to mischief ect now ive got kids of my own begging me to let them go .

The problem i now face is my views have totaly changed im all for celebrating hallows eve but im not sure about the trick or treating i know it would scare my nan to bits to have a bunch of kids at her door at night as im sure it would many nans out there.

My eldest keeps saying "But all my freinds are going" it could be me 20 years ago ive tried explaining my view but she just wont have it.We are supposed to be going to a freinds who is having a party but i know there kids are going trick an treating so i feel realy pressured.

So whats your views and how would you react???

Ifeel a right hypocrite but the thought of the old folks being cared is a horrible thought.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Talk about putting yourself in your parents shoes!!

Well, I'm only 17, so my view on these parential matters mean Jack'o'lantern pretty much, but how about you arrange a charepone? Like someone about 6 years older? It gives them a responsibiliy and when you have teens with responsibiliy of other people, they normally rise to the occasion, although I would suggest someone female...

Good luck Wink

Logmadr
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:21 pm

There is someone older in the group but i still think its not realy fair on the oldies and as you know weston has a very high population of over 70's.

Maybe im being over sensitive i dont know.

Trick or treating is a very new idea in history and im not sure its such a good idea for it to become tradition it could well be doing a lot more harm than good.
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I don't think my views are particularly valid as I have no children. From an outside point of view though, I think even if it is a fairly new tradition, as children appear to enjoy this activity so much then why not? The only thing I would say is that they must always be under parental supervision and the parents also have the ability to steer the children away from people who may not find the calls that welcoming.

As far as bothering people is concerned, everyone know what night of the year it is and if they don't want to answer the door then they don't have to - the kids will just move on to the next house. Those that do want to get into the spirit of things will be prepared and will have goodies for the kids. I think everyone is happy then. Smile
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Weston is so full of old people, even the streetsigns are bifocul...sorry, couldn't resist!

I think that Ryoma's point of view is good, but I would like to add Trick or Treating is already a tradition: not a very old one, but a few decades has already made it something that all people of my generation and many of my parents generation have adhered to. I loved doing it but I agree with either parental supervision or someone older, more resposible taking them...

Also, teach them that if someone doesn't answer the dooor the first time, don't go back and keep knocking, it's very annoying!!

jocolor
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:11 pm

If instead of going round asking for treats or else,say they went round offering gifts like a kind of harvest festival then i think i could relate to this better.Im sure the kids would love it just as much especialy if there are sweets waiting for them when they get in.

It could be classed as begging realy and if you dont pay up face the consequences.Alot of kids treat it as a night they can get away with causing havok Most people have no idea why we celebrate halloween yet the christian celebrations are drummed into us from a young age.If its going to become a tradition then we need to educate and not let it become just a night to dress up and go trick or treating.
Back to top Go down
Evie

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:48 pm

I am voting for the children. Bag How sad if they can't go.

In my honest opinion, us parents can 'overthink' little issues. Unless you have strict religion beliefs against "trick or treating" ...

Ook is right, people here who not wish to participate, do not decorate their yard, or windows, or turn on the porch light or leave a jack-o-lantern on the steps the night of Halloween. I'd worry more about how dogs and cats feel about this event than little old ladies. cat Sorry.

Halloween is NOT a tradion that is just going to go away. It is as is. It has a history that is rooted in many traditions. When your grandchildren are gonna want to go... your grown children will have halloween memories resurfacing of their own. scratch Plus not ALL children are rascals.... Wink I remember When I was "too old/big to go door to door, I did ... some stuff too... pale

About your invitation to a Dress-up Party... farao Why Not? It's all in fun. Wouldn't that make a cool picture/memory ... Dad dressed up with the kids. drunken

By the way your avatar is a cool costume... hint hint .... tongue

Last edited by on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Subtle as ever Evie!!

But I wholeheartedly agree: Halloween is as much a part of the year as Christmas and Easter: it's probably one of the funnest holidays of the year, as you can dress up for no reason...I've got a party I'm going to: I'm going as the Devil, surrounded by Witches' just to p*ss on the cliché Smile

I think it would be a shame to not let them go, but it is your own decision, and you do whatever you feel is best Smile

Logmadr...
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Im taking them to the party but not sure about the t&t ive allready got a costume for me my daughters got a witches costume and the eldest son in dracular and the youngest is going to be a pumpkin im all for the party dressing up and games for the kids its just the t&t im having trouble with.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Decide how you feel at the time...You don't have to decide at the time, and if you say "We'll see" they'll think you mean no, so if it is a yes they will be surprised Smile

jocolor
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 4:02 am

I, personally, do not like the practice that some Trick or Treaters employ of throwing eggs at properties.

We have always encouraged youngsters, had a laugh with them and given them lots of treats but, one year, a group of them smothered the front of our house with eggs and the stains remain as a reminder to this day.

I love the "fun" of Halloween and remember with great joy the parties that my school used to organise (Junior School, so I would have been about 8 or 9) - they were brilliant and I used to be ace at the apple dunking and catching the apples suspended on strings!!!

31 October has another association for me, though - it is the anniversary of my father's birth, although he died when I was two years old.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Aurora
Aurora

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 am

Definately let them treat or treat, just because a bunch of idiots go round on that night doesnt mean your well behaved kids shouldnt have the fun. Halloween has always been a massive tradition in my family and we all get dressed up and decorate the whole house (the decorations started going up yesterday and demons are in process in our diningroom)! I think a shapparone is a good idea if you are genuinely worried about it. But my advice is that this country looks too long and too deeply into some light hearted fun and we've become a nation of fear. As said before if they dont want trick or treaters they wont advertise the fact they are in. The kids will pick up on this, because you waste less time on houses without pumpkins and in turn gain more candy! Score! hehe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:59 am

I've never been trick or treating not even once.
I was never allowed to as my parents saw it as a form of begging and they were totally against that.
so yeah, guess i missed out huh
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm

You didn't miss too much, it was fun but nothing massive...

Are you buying it?

Smile

And I think my mum actually has a sign somewhere saying "Trick or Treaters Are NOT Welcome"

What a douchebag...

Logmadr...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ALL Hallows Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALL Hallows Eve   ALL Hallows Eve Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ALL Hallows Eve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Merry Moot :: Discussion Boards :: General Discussions-
Jump to: