Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sad day

Go down 
+2
Jaska
LunarCraft
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 am

I am writing this post in a state of complete shock.

Annie and I left home at 7.40 am this morning and I decided that we would not follow our usual route into town along the Toll Road. However, as we were driving away from home we noticed a huge, strange-coloured cloud in the sky so decided to investigate. As we changed our plans again - this time to go along the Toll Road as that was the direction of the cloud - we heard on the local radio that the Grand Pier was on fire!

We drove down through Kewstoke and could see the cloud billowing and changing colour. Annie grabbed her camera and got a couple of shots from the country lanes.

We travelled along the Toll Road and then hit chaos - roads closed and traffic to end all traffic ... the world and his wife was out to observe a central piece of Weston's history being destroyed.

While we were driving we caught glimpses of the fire - it was absolutely unbelieveable. I have never seen a big fire in full flow - it was scary ... just the same as how infernos are depicted.

My thoughts go out to Kerry and Michelle Michael and hope and pray that they are able to rebuild the ONLY attraction that remained in WsM. After all the time and money they had invested in The Pier, this is just totally devastating for them. I wish them all the luck in the world that they can come back from this.

I am listening to Star 107.7 as I write this post and someone has just suggested starting a fund to help to rebuild The Grand Pier ... I sincerely hope that this does get started - I would happily contribute to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Jaska
Jaska

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 am

it is sad i guess for most people...... i was annoyed that i got woken up by a text abut it...
but overall I found it somwhat amusing.. dont know why, i just think "ooh lets go to the pier today! oops its burnt down, oh well lol"

i can see why some may be upset over it being such a waste and history etc, but i just think, its alreaddy been burnt down before.. and theres that other pier that was also destroyed... its nothing new. they have the tropicana in progress
but yeah, its a shame, but nothing to be upset about... but thats just me - laugh it off! (i wanna watch batman again XD)

ps: the world and his wife lmao
Back to top Go down
http://dark-light.forumotion.co.uk/
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 am

I only heard about this half way through the day and was very sad to hear it. I remember many a sunny day spent walking along with ice-cream with my family. It was also a place I remember spending some great day as a kid with my now departed Gran and it is sad to think that I will never walk down it again. Even if they do re-build it, the pier I knew is dead. The only solace is that many people have had a chance to enjoy it over the years, and those memories are not easily forgotten. Also, as far as I know, no-one was hurt in the fire as it took place so early in the day.
On a brighter note, the town will re-build and move on. Like a phoenix from the ashes, a new day will dawn and a even better feature may rise from this. x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

I hope they start the fun dto help rebuild the Pier as well. I saw the fire engines passing Tesco this morning at 7:00, didn't think much of it until I turned around to see all the smoke. Heartbreaking. Sad

Let's hope it can be rebuilt, albeit not the same old Pier that many of us loved.
Back to top Go down
Storm MoonSong
Storm MoonSong

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm so sorry for Weston-super-Mare's loss. It's always sad when landmarks go down. Even if they are re-built, it's never the same. We have lost a few of our own landmarks for different reasons and it's always distressing, even if it is for that moment.
On the odd side of life, I was getting ready to go to bed last night when the news came on and your Pier was on our news. I started jumping up and down yelling I KNEW THAT HAPPENED. My husband looked at me with a knowing look in his eye and compassionately said "You dreamt about this again dear?" I said LOL NO I have friends there and I got a message on the board about it. All he could do is look at me with such an odd look on his face it was almost funny.
*those that don't know me, I see things in my dreams that end up coming true. Foresight if you wish!*
Anyway,
hope life is better today
Hugs
Mama Storm
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:51 am

Wow - world fame for Weston-super-Mare!!! Shame it could not have been for something more positive.

Thank you so much for regaling us with your story, Mama, it gave us the laugh that we needed so badly.

Was your husband impressed that you have friends over here??

The Pier will, I am certain, be rebuilt - the front entrance attractions re-opened for business today and there is speculation that people will also be able to walk about two-thirds of the way along the pier ... that will be really strange, I am sure. Perhaps Annie and I may go this evening to get a closer look - see how tired we are at the end of the day!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Blimey, I was surprised to see it had reached the US. Sad that Weston would have to lose a major landmark to do so but I'm glad the world has taken an interest.

Let's hope that restorations will begin soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:25 pm

It's strange it went to the States, but I suppose it was 104 years old. Ah it's be great again one day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad day   Sad day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sad day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Merry Moot :: General Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: