Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books

Go down 
+4
Aurora
Sabouki
Julia Oakmoon
Ook!
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Empty
PostSubject: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 9:40 am

What are the most famous Magick and Spellcrafting books in history? What is the oldest known book? Are any of the oldest ones still in existence and if so, where are they kept?

Are any 'lost books' thought to be purely mythical or do you believe they are real?
Back to top Go down
Julia Oakmoon
Julia Oakmoon

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Heck, you don't believe in simple questions do you Shocked

I believe that there are some books in the Vatican library that lots of us would like to get our hands on. Very old magical texts which the Catholic church thinks should be hidden away

The diaries of John Dee are available. He was astrologer to Elizabeth I. Apart from that the oldest books that I have on my shelves are the works of Eliphas Levi, Francis Barrett's The Magus, Crowley's Goetia, various books by Isreal Regardie. Golden Dawn stuff which is based on The Key of Solomon. We also have the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Book of Enoch all of which are old and contain a certain amount of magic

However, I do believe there's someone round here who runs a book shop so she can probably answer you better than me

Julia
Back to top Go down
http://www.paganfederationwessex.com
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm

What a fabulous reply Julia (and a Happy Birthday to you again) Smile

Very, very interesting list. We are bibliophiles and old books are a particular passion of ours and I don't mean owning them, I mean learing about them, learning from them, etc. When I asked the question I imagined that many books would have been lost or destroyed over the centuries. I'm not surprised about the Vatican though. Mad

Yers, that's one library worth spending a lot of time in - there's no doubt there are a fair few eye openers in there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Ook! wrote:

Yers, that's one library worth spending a lot of time in - there's no doubt there are a fair few eye openers in there. Smile

I think if there is anything of interest it would most likely be in the Bodlen Library, underneath Oxford.

Legally, every book that published must send a copy to there, so theres probably loads of hidden books under there!
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Well i know that in wicca some people believe that when a witch dies her Book of Shadows should be burned or buried with her, but to a book lover like me i find that HORRIBLE!
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Ditto Kim. Shocked No
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm sorry, but if I had a lover (we can only hope one day soemone will take me!) and their Book of Shadows was burned when they died I would be furious! All knowlege deserves to be passed on, it's life experience and there is nothing that compares to experience in magick!

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Agares, I couldn't agree more. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chardeian
Chardeian

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:57 pm

I've studied Magic in the Ancient World as part of my degree. When I come back from Holiday, I'll let you know about the subject and the useful books. You can buy revised copies of them off the internet, so you can research at home. My specialty is ancient talismans and charms, and defixiones 'stone tablets with spells on them'.
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Fascinating, I look forward to your return - have a great holiday by the way!
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 2:40 am

I know defixiones are quite an obscure branch of old magic, but I thought they were generally negative? As in curses or sometimes bindings?

What was your degree in Chardeian? It sounds very interesting.

Have a good holiday, wherever you are going.

This was a post from Logmadr not LunarCraft: Loggy cannot be arsed to change to his profile and correct this feck-up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Chardeian
Chardeian

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 pm

My degree is in Classical Studies. Ancient Greek and Romans with a bit of Egyptian and the surronding areas. I can read Latin and Ancient Greek. I know all the major myths and I had a good go at Classics in modern films. I got to write an exam paper on 'O Brother, Where art thou?' So cool. My specialty is in Magic in the Ancient World along with Ancient Astrology and Architecture of Greece and Rome. My dissertation was on Greco Pottery of the Early Classical period. What I found the most cheeky was I wrote an essay for Magic in the Ancient World and I managed to put a bonifide Harry Potter reference in and it still got marked!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Era Amunet
Era Amunet

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm

OH I know an old famous book which had rituals and spells and stuff in!!!!
The Egyptian Book of the Dead!!!!
Yay go me! I'm proud of myself! yeah...
Woo go egypt
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/vampiric_gal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books   Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Famous Magick and Spellcrafting books
Page 1 of 1