Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Meditation

Go down 
+4
Julia Oakmoon
Aurora
matt32
Ook!
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 6:59 pm

What form of meditation techniques do you practice (if any) and how do you feel it benefits you? Smile
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 2:44 am

Good question,over the years ive tried many different forms but i found i could never stick to anything due to problems in my life.At twelve my dad died and i got in with the wrong crowd started smoking the weed which led on to pretty much everything else which realy messed me up.At 28 i kicked the habbit but my mind was still in a mess and with work i found it very hard to find the time to stick to anything.

Six months ago i had an accident which left me withtwo crushed discs in my spine and was told i wont be working for some time.So this has given me the time i need and as ive said in another post ive found some of the kundalini yoga meditations very good.Iit seems to put me in a space i could not reach before.Its still early days but i have gained a new found confidence .

At the time of my addictions i used to say to myself this is a rubbish meditation,it does'nt work ect ect but now i can see it was me that was,nt working and these thoughts were barriers i was putting up due to my mind being everywhere.Now however i feel i can focus my attention and hopefully acheive my goals.
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 3:01 am

Sorry i went off topic abit but i think everyone has problems in there life no matter how big or small which affects your meditations through barriers being thrown up in your mind those were just a few of my barriers which through some simple kundalini exercises i seem to be overcomingBut the mind will allways create new barriers.When there are no more barriers i think that is true enlightenment and i dont think there are many who can say they are fully enlightened.

My appolagies for going on i will shut up now

matt
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 9:27 am

Just an idea but do you think of your accident as any kind of message telling you to go in a new direction?
Back to top Go down
matt32
matt32

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 9:49 am

Deffinetly ive got a whole new outlook on life im not sure what i will do yet .Before i would work myself into the ground and got no thanks for it so whatever i do it will be for myself.Just need to come up with a plan.
Back to top Go down
Julia Oakmoon
Julia Oakmoon

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 am

I always find it impossible to just sit and meditate, my mind wanders or I fall asleep. I meditate whilst doing something else, something mundane. Walking is good or knitting or gardening

Julia
Back to top Go down
http://www.paganfederationwessex.com
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 pm

I am the same as Julia - I need to be doing something else, preferably more than one thing at the same time in order to quieten my brain ... watching TV and knitting works well for me!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 4:38 pm

As a child I was taught a form of Zazen which I believe is practiced by Buddhists. I was taught it to help me when fighting in martial arts. My father was one of a half dozen masters who came to Europe in the 60s to teach Karate in the West.

The meditation itself is simple and can be done kneeling, sitting or even lying down. Eyes half closed, vision focused on an object a couple of metres away, breath slowly and steadily counting from 1 to 10 (I can only meditate if I count in Japanese forsome strange reason) with each count on a breath in and out. With each breath outwards the body relaxes a bit more. If the mind is busy I visualise a single flower on a lily pad floating on calm water. All focus is on these things so no other thoughts should enter the mind at all.

This practice over time leads to interesting side effects which include wider periferal vision (the ability to see much more than the normal limited focus of vision), a heightened connection with the senses, better motor control of the body (righ down to your toes), heightened pain management, instant ability to become relaxed at any time, instant ability to clear one's mind and in conjunction with physical martial arts practice one can achieve 'slow time' abilities (for example, to see an attack such as a punch move in slow motion while you have the ability to counter or react in real time at your leisure).

I would love to learn other meditation techniques - could you share yours with me? Smile
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 4:56 pm

Most people are aware of my passion for languages: could you phoenetically spell 1-10 in Japanese pretty please?

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Here's an excellent link for you as it also includes audio: -

Click here

It's worth noting that the numbers 4, 7 and 9 have two ways of saying them depending on what is being counted. For the sake of just counting from one to ten though, it doesn't really matter which version you use. Smile

I use Shi, Shichi and Kyuu for those numbers when meditating.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Thank you Ook, I like to focus on different language when I meditate, and I believe these will come in very useful Smile

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 2:07 pm

i have various ways of mediating, some not conventional.

I have an annoying ability to make myself go into a trance, and its sometimes really easy for my to clear my mind.....but then i really just think of nothing, which is pretty pointless really, so ill sit in my room, with a few candles and listen to some 'mellow' music.....actually quite loud....i find the vibrations soothing, cos im a strange thing.

Another way ill meditate is too write songs and poems. Gets all my emotionals out and helps my sort out my mind.

Ironing. Oddly theraputic and thus enables me to think as well, lol
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm

You've no idea how annoying it is when you're talking to her and she suddenly starts Meditating for no reason...takes her a few minutes to come out of her trance...she scrys in much the same way and it is truly mental how quickly she does it!

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:49 am

Sabouki wrote:
I have an annoying ability to make myself go into a trace, and its sometimes really easy for my to clear my mind.....but then i really just think of nothing, which is pretty pointless really, so ill sit in my room, with a few candles and listen to some 'mellow' music.....actually quite loud....i find the vibrations soothing, cos im a strange thing.

Another way ill meditate is too write songs and poems. Gets all my emotionals out and helps my sort out my mind.

Ironing. Oddly theraputic and thus enables me to think as well, lol

What wonderful ways to meditate. I really like these. Very natural. Smile Thanks for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:52 am

It is weird how natural it is for some people (Sacha) and yet, for others it is completely alien Ephyra). Some people can't do it at all and some people find it difficult, but I woul like to know is is it really impossible or just very difficult for some people to meditate?

jocolor

This was the 1000th post of the forum!
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:10 pm

There have been periods in my life where I found it impossible to meditate which is in stark contrast to the other periods of my life where it is as natural as can be. I think what makes it hard for people is a number of things from circumstances, health, emotional welfare, spiritual welfare, etc, etc. It could be anything.

What does everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 1:55 pm

I would tend to agree with you but, unfortunately, I have never found it easy to meditate. However, since practicing Reiki, I do find that I naturally go into a calm and relaxed state, which is half-way there at least!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Sabouki
Sabouki

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Ook! wrote:
There have been periods in my life where I found it impossible to meditate which is in stark contrast to the other periods of my life where it is as natural as can be. I think what makes it hard for people is a number of things from circumstances, health, emotional welfare, spiritual welfare, etc, etc. It could be anything.

What does everyone else think?

i have to agree with u there. With my current circumatnces at home, its not been as easy for my to meditate as i normally could....take me a good few 5, 10 minutes at the moment, instead of, nearly instantly, lol.

It general worries that can prevent me from relaxing....or sometimes STRONG emotions....such as pain, or excitement, anger, fear etc.

I guess it can depend on the person....your personality and how easily one shows emotions and such.
Back to top Go down
Zephron
Zephron

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:30 pm

I think your emotional state health e.t.c is a big factor in meditation, trying to focus and/concentrate whilst stressed upset or just have a stinking cold etc is pretty difficult. I can never seem to force meditation for me it either happens or it doesn't although i i think practice s definatley helping as it seems to happen more now than it used to though i still suck pretty bad Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meditation
Page 1 of 1