Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Viking is IN

Go down 
+7
VII
Amberlady
Ook!
Logmadr
Aurora
Sabouki
Swords of Night and Day
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Greetings!.

At the behest of my most ecxellent friend I've joined the throng.

I'm very glad I did, having found such diverse interests/topics on the site.

Am mainly into Norse Mythology because of my ancestry,( Danish Vikings via Normandy, Hastings etc. Vikings weren't all bad you know, they laid seige to Paris for a start. Hey, everyone has to have a hobby!)

Look forward from hearing from you.

May your God, gods, alternate-deity, demi-god, elements, supernatural being, and/or Furbie go with you.

(I killed my daughter's Furbie with a shotgun!! Couldn't take it anymore!!)

Please note: No Furbies were harmed in the making of this introduction.

S.O.N.A.D.
Back to top Go down
Sabouki
Sabouki

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:04 pm

HAHA! I loved that intro!

I bloody HATE furbies, and i'm not joking...i had one when i was a kid and it scared me s**tless during the night.

Welcome to the gang! Hope you have fun!!!

Sacha!!

MOD NOTE: Sacha, try not to swear hun!
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Hahaha that was the best intro ever and made me laugh so much I hurt my mouth, however you cant take ALL the credit for that one as I have two ulcers under my lip! hehe Norse mythology you'll get on well with Logmadr then. Which friend introduced you may I ask? Hehe seems like you'll fit right in! xxx Oh p.s. if your intro vikings or the danes have you read Bernard Cornwells viking series? Its brilliant and I love the raping and pillaging by them good ole danes! hehe
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Hail Sonad!! Welcome to the forums!! As I said in my PM to you, we are the home of the Einherjar of Midgard!!

Have fun!! And please, I know you have viking blood, but no pillaging on here!! Keep it clean folks!!
Back to top Go down
Ook!
Official Post Master
Ook!

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 pm

A warm welcome to you! Smile

Are any of you aware that part of the rich and colourful history of Weston is that the Vikings used to set up camp on Steep Holme (or Flat Holme, can't remember which) so they had a safe, secure place to rest while they went up and down the Bristol channel doing what Vikings did best to all the local towns and villages at the time?

Just thought I'd add that bit of info. Wink
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Quote :
Am mainly into Norse Mythology because of my ancestry,( Danish Vikings via Normandy, Hastings etc
I think you are a tad confused, claiming Norse ancestory via the normans is a bit tenuous. Yes the Normans originated from Scanadavia and Norman probaly means North Man but those Norse that settled in France also adapted the local customs, language and religions, effectively becoming a completely different race.

In 1066 the Danes and the Normans both had independant claims on the English crown and so launched seoerate invasions - The Danes landed at Riccall in North Yorkshire and beat the local English Army at Fulford near York, the English king Harold led an army from London and caught the Danes unprepared at Stamford Bridge near york and defeated them. At the same time the Norman king William landed an army on the south coast forcing Harold' exhausted army to march south once again and fight the Normans at Battle near Hastings, which of course they lost.

Although many Normans were of Scandanavian decent, most were not, they were French, the culture the Normans brough to England was French and was completely diffeent to the Dane Law of the 7th & 8th centuries
Back to top Go down
http://the-amberlady.livejournal.com/19815.html
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 4:55 pm

I remember all that from my first ever history lesson in Year 7!!!

Harold Godwinson, and Haralad Hadrada, Battle of Hastings, 1066....I forget the rest....Amber, how do you remember all this stuff?!?! lol
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 2:10 am

MerryMootWelcome

Welcome S.O.D.A.N.!! Hope you enjoy the moot!!
As you say you'll find lots of different people with lots of different views and opinions here, but most of us (no names needed mentioning) will welcome you with respect and interest. Have a great time and enjoy yourself!! Logmadr will be excited that there's another Norse enthusiast about!! And I couldn't help noticing the "arms & armour" bit in your hobbies and interests... I share a passion for such things myself! I bet you have a collection (or two).

Welcome Welcome Welcome

Last edited by on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 am

Welcome S.O.N.A.D Welcome

Just wanted to say hello and hope you enjoy your time with us here at Merry Moot, which is often the place of good healthy debates, smattered with a good helping of madcap mayhem! Shocked bounce affraid

We also have a chat facility and, if you are able to, it woud be great to meet you in there.

Once again ... MerryMootWelcome

PS - it was lovely to see you in the shop the other day! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Danish/Viking Lineage   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 3:53 am

In defence to Amberlady's rebuttal. I have DIRECT descendance from King Hrolf of Denmark, This has been handed down by word of mouth from father to son for over a millenia. This is MY heritage!

Forgive me, dear lady but you are quite wrong in this case.

And as they invested Northern France from 800 AD onwards, a mere 200 years does not eradicate your ancestry.

Despite adapting to local conditions I can't imagine them all of a sudden wearing Berets, drinking wine, eating bread and cheese, and smoking Gauloises. Even today the current Normans consider themselves separate.

Apologies if I'm being preachy, but hey you're raining on my parade here!

S.O.N.A.D
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 3:57 am

Yay! Good come-back! Respect!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Stamford Bridge and the Danes????   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:34 am

So the "DANES" as Amberlady calls them, fought at Riccall and later at Stamford Bridge in 1066, and were led by HAROLD HARDRADA (whose daytime job was KING OF NORWAY).

Don't know about you but I'd call them Norwegian/Norse, and not "DANES".

Amberlady, I'd bin those history books you have, or open them and actually read them.

Apologies number 2, but you're wrong again!!!

I know, let's have a spelling contest instead.
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 am

Quote :
This has been handed down by word of mouth from father to son for over a millenia.
Now how many times have I heard ridiculous claims such as that? Nobody can possibly claim direct descendant over a period of more then 1000 years, especially by word of mouth.
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:45 am

Maybe you should let S.O.D.A.N. tell us about his family, which he's probably more familiar with than you, and stop arguing for the sake of arguing?
Back to top Go down
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:50 am

There is a first time for everything, dear lady.

Please be advised this is a FACT.

I'm sorry if this upsets you.

They say as one gets older a broad mind and a narrow waist change places. We all have to guard against that.

Thankyou for your input.
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:54 am

Sonad, it was I who said Harald Hadrada: I know this is the correct way of spelling it!! At least, I think I know....I know there was a Harald SOMEWHERE!!! Lol and word of mouth isn't good enough for some people, don't forget, you get the occasional loon in some families: hey, my aunt is still ADAMENT she was Anastasia Romanov!! lol
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 am

Shocked *must not make comment or react....................*
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 am

Quote :
*must not make comment or react....................*
Apparently not Neutral
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 am

Everyone is free to make comments, so long as they are not snide ... well, snide is ok, just not aimed at one person alone!!
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 am

Quote :
Everyone is free to make comments
So long as they are not pointing out glaring holes in peoples claims, those that do get deleted - apparently....................
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:57 am

Not deleted, Sin Binned Smile And if you want to point out holes in peoples story, do it in a nice way: look at the Healing Spell thread of Era's....I told a new member, in a very polite way, and if I am able to keep my emotions and opinions in check, a 17 year old with hormones pumping around my body, I am certain someone with a lot more life experience than me like you, will be able to also: I trust that you will at least try to be civil Smile

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 am

Could we please allow this thread to get back on topic ... this is the second request that this be allowed to happen.

Any further posts that are off topic will be deleted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Logmadr

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 am

Sorry LunarCraft **blushes**
Back to top Go down
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:25 am

OK

I'm going to say this and bow out gracefully.

My Direct NORMAN ancestor, a cousin of William the Bastard as he was known, was granted lands post invasion around Bruton near Shepton Mallet by DUKE William of Normandy, and not King as has been suggested.( He was crowned King of England on Christmas Day - Simon Schama said it on TV so it must be true.)

In the 1750's, my direct relative was the second son of the family and did not inherit land or title. He entered into trade as a shipwright, quite a successful one as it happens.

My lineage is recorded in the family bible and backed up by Parish Records and the Public Records office.

I do not take kindly to being called a liar, dear Amberlady. So before rubbishing other peoples stories, claims, ideas, poems or whatever. as appears to be your habit, please ensure you are correct before putting mouth or fingers in gear.

I hope this clears that matter up.

Apologies to everyone, especially you Sarah, for me being the cause of this heated debate.
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 pm

You will be a member of the De Lucy family then who according to the Doomsday book owned most od the land arounf Shepton Mallett?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Viking is IN Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Viking is IN   The Viking is IN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Viking is IN
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next