Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats it all for?

Go down 
+9
StarlightTess
Aoife
Aurora
Azi
Annie
Solvo Phasmatis
Amberlady
VII
ironwolf
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ironwolf

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:11 pm

When you do the things you do as regards magic etc, what is your goal? What end result do you hope to accomplish? What is it all for??
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Is this a philosophical question? Like; why do people in general do the things they do?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
Amberlady
Amberlady

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 am

Excellant question Ironwolf. As I don't believe in magic I csn't comment on this but I will certainly be interested in the replies
Back to top Go down
http://the-amberlady.livejournal.com/19815.html
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Not sure I understand the nature of the question. Do you mean why pratice magic at all or why carry out rituals? If your question is about the rituals then surely the purpose behind them would change from spell to spell. Could you elaborate please? (sorry if i'm being dense, just want to fully understand the question before I attempt to produce an answer).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
ironwolf

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:31 pm

I would like to know where all the spells, rituals etc, are going to take you. I don't mean individual spells etc, I mean, what is your long term goal? What will it all lead to? What kind of person will you become?
This can be answered philosophically or any way you see fit. Maybe some don't even think about why they do the things they do and where it will lead.
Back to top Go down
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Generally I use magick very rarely but when I do it is usually for protection or healing. As for long term goal, I don't really have one. A better understanding of the forces around us that most are oblivious to and a long happy life for me and the ones I love (though I think most people want this, magick is just a little helper). I don't tend to speculate as to 'where it will lead me' as I don't feel I'm beinf lead. I make my choices on a day to day basis and do whatever feels right to me. Magick has just felt right to me from the start. I suppose on a more synical note a part of me probably likes the feeling of control in the chaos, the fact that with all the uncontrolable factors out there, I can effect even the smallest part of it.
It's very difficult to explain and there's alot more to it, which I may add when it comes to me but I hope you get my point.
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:19 am

Quote :
I don't tend to speculate as to 'where it will lead me' as I don't feel I'm being lead.

Good answer!
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 am

MOD NOTE - Amberlady ... you had agreed not to comment on this thread and, now that you have, you have made a lame attempt to humiliate a well-respected forum member ... PLEASE DESIST IN THIS BEHAVIOUR

So you have no plans to capitilze on your ability to use magic then? Don't ypou want to use this power to influence politicians o rbig business, either for your own ambitions or simply to save the planet? If you can heal then don't you want to travel to the third world where you could offer help to people unable to access more mundane medical help.?

Personally I'd love to hex my bank manager, then I would use a glamour to appear like a super model and make a fortune while secretly controlling the Government - You have to wonder why witches don't rule the world
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 7:03 am

The saying "each to their own" comes to mind. Everybody, magic or not, has a different idea what they want to do with their abilities. A magic-user could do their own small bit, but it wouldn't always correspond with what other magic-users strive to do. Just like a non magic-user could be against a bad government and use his/her abilities to do their bit, but again, others might not agree. Magic-users are just people with abilities.

(I can think of a few world-leaders I'd like to curse Evil or Very Mad , but I will have to learn to smite them the normal way...)
Back to top Go down
Amberlady
Amberlady

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 am

Oh bollocks to this, I want my accoount closed and delted with imediate effect, I want nothing more to do with such a bunch of fluffy idiots

If anybody wants to know about real Paganism feel free to join me at

**link removed** Amber, please don't advertise unless links are approved by the Admin team

Where I shall shortly being starting a discusion on Gorge Pickinhill of Canewdon, I can assure you I don't take offence at the stupidest little thing like people do here
Back to top Go down
VII
VII

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:54 am

Can't you delete it yourself? Or are you trying to make the Moot do it, so you can bad-mouth it to all your friends associates? Seems silly you putting so much time and effort into something you don't like. Are you a bit mad? Or are you just a time-waster, like the ones you're preaching against? I've read your live journal site, a bit flat don't you think? Not really much difference in anything you say. Here or there you're just a bitter woman with no time for anyone but bitter people.

Maybe you'd like to talk to these lemons:

Whats it all for? Lemon

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Annie
Admin
Admin
Annie

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 am

Amberlady wrote:
I can assure you I don't take offence at the stupidest little thing like people do here

I can assure you that you do, Amberlady. Why else are you so bothered by fluffies?
Back to top Go down
http://www.merrymoot.co.uk
Azi

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 am

Where I shall shortly being starting a discusion on Gorge Pickinhill of Canewdon, I can assure you I don't take offence at the stupidest little thing like people do here

Might help if you could spell his name...
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 am

Oh Amberlady you make me chuckle, learn about real paganism, dont you mean learn how to take something like paganism and strip it of everything and just bitch about others? Seriously toady lighten the hell up and stop being such a vicious cow. If I was a fluffly I might site the threefold law but I think I'll enjoy imagining kickboxing your miserable ass instead.
Back to top Go down
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

*Chooses not to moderate comments*

Amberlady wrote:
Oh bollocks to this, I want my accoount closed and delted with imediate effect, I want nothing more to do with such a bunch of fluffy idiots

Have you PMed Admin? If you wish to leave the site please send a message to Lunarcraft or Annie. Don't shout about it on the forumns trying to make a scene as it is innappropriate. Last time you spoke of leaving Merry Moot, you continued to come online and post messages, so one would have to question if you are entirely serious in your request. If you are not then please do not insult the members of this forumn. If you are, PM admin.

Anyhoo, back to topic people! lol.

Personally, I find magick to be just another part of my life. Any meaning/experiences gained are no different to those gained through the more mundane aspects of life. For me the only reason why there is a distinction between the magickal and non-magickal aspects of my life is the reactions other people have to them. If some people are unaccepting of the magickal elements to the path in life I have chosen then it sets them apart from the rest. But I'm not sure much else does really.

So in answer to your question, I'm not really sure, but it's the same reason I do anything else meaningful.

Last edited by on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Aurora
Aurora

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Although you have to admit Aoife with a face like a toad she could do with a glamour or two...orthree....or four....or five......

Mod note: Ok, Aurora, tone it down please. To be fair I don't *think* Amberlady's avatar is an actual picture of her. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a demon called Der Kinderstodt (literally meaning the child's death) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer Smile Only without the top hat and skanky hair seen in the TV show...

Further Mod Note: Actually it might not be, I'm not sure...but it looks mighty similar anyway
Back to top Go down
Azi

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 pm

All,
Personally, I would not worry unduly in turn of the ‘lemonesque’ bitterness of Amberlady; her astringent and disagreeable infusion of comment has ultimately seen many members of her philosophical cocktail coterie depart, leaving her ever more alone and lemonesque/bitter than ever.
Azi
Back to top Go down
Aurora
Aurora

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 pm

OOooo Azi I love your eloquent way with words!
Back to top Go down
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:33 pm

What forums need is level headed and reasonable people. I have no problems with being challenged- in fact I welcome it as it gives me the chance to defend and deepen my own opinions. However, I do not take kindly to personal abuse of members of the forum. If a person is not willing to at least consider another point of view, then I think they are just closed-minded ignorant fools who deserve nothing but contempt.
In response to your original comments Amberlady, I am not that powerful. I do not have the power to solve all the worlds problems and personally, I believe that no-one should have that kind of power. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". People need to be given the opportunity to sort out their own problems, else how would anyone develop? No-one would learn anything and in my opinion, that kind of static life is worse than death.
Back to top Go down
StarlightTess
StarlightTess

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm

hmm what is it all for?? A good question indeed, and one that has made me sit here and evaluate my life and its direction so I thankyou for that Ironwolf, my train of thought going from what is magic for to what is it all for in general? That question that is posed globally and no two people have agreed on an answer.
For me it brings me a sense of being connected, to not being alone, giving me the trust in my beliefs that there is something more. That brings me comfort and makes me not scared of that inevitable fate that awaits us all at the end of our lives.
I don’t claim to be powerful, I don’t claim to be able to perform science defying tricks after all science is my base, its what I have grown up on, but the defining line between science and religion is becoming ever more blurred. However some things I believe on faith and faith alone, its what give those beliefs the power. I think in some parts it’s the mind over matter principle, it has power because I believe it does. I know that people are going to disagree with me and I don’t mind that everyone is entitled to their beliefs if a person wants to believe that we originate from aliens populating this planet then who am I to tell them they have no right to hold that as true.
Having faith in something more gives me confidence and the courage to push myself further trusting that I have the ability to change the world around me and having that enables me to bring out that confidence in others and help them see that they have the power to do what makes them happy. I know this sounds all love and light but it really isn’t I know that sinister and harsh exist, I just choose to live on the other side of life
Back to top Go down
http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
ironwolf

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 7:36 pm

After you have experimented a bit then you settle into your beliefs it does make life easier. I find it easy to make decisions because I follow a certain code of conduct and it does give you more confidence because you don't agonize over what to do. I follow the giudelines set out in "Havamal", ( Which is in a book called "The poetic edda"), which is the advice given by Odin on how men should conduct themselves. One of the verses says that the only thing you leave behind when you die is your reputation, so I suppose that if you where to ask a heathen "what is it all for?", it is so you can leave a good one!
Back to top Go down
Zephron
Zephron

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm

I do magic for the same reason i haul my lazy ass to work, look for flats in the newspaper, go to the movies with friends, go to a club on friday night e.t.c

To me magic as a singular aspect of my life has no specific purpose or long term goal, it fits in with everything i do on a typical mundane day which i do only to live life.

Magic is seen to be a special set of skills that only a few people use. I think people use magic all the time without even realising they are doin it. Ok analogy time

I can turn on my computer and flit through a hundred websites, listen to music in the internet, talk to people thousands of miles away. I have very little to no idea how any of this works but that doesn't stop me from using it. Now an I.T technician knows how this works and can do all the same stuff as me and so much more create web sites, help other people with thier technical difficulties, and so on.

This to me is not so much different to a practioner of magic. Every one can meditate, feel natural energies, ask deities for help. I like everyone else can also do these things, but because like the I.T technician i also choose to learn more about it and so can acomplish some things that the masses can't

So in essence i think this boils down to 'why did you start learning magic?' I wish i could say i had some noble purpose, like some of the wonderful ideas that Amber lady suggested(which we really should get round to, im free a week on Thursday if anybody wants to help me brain storm a few ideas for world peace) ending world hunger for one. Unfortunatly thats not why i started learning it, simply it intrigued me, i thought it would be fun and useful in my life, and i felt like i had been looking for it.

Im sure people have other more noble reasons, and some probably have more base reasons, but i dont think it should be treated much different from anyother basic skill set that has been expanded on.

Great topic by the way, i enjoyed pondering about it Very Happy

BB

Simon
Back to top Go down
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:14 am

Nice comments Tess & Zephon. Smile
I started magick out of necessity. Myself and one's I lnve became in danger from a supernatural source and we had to learn how to protect ourselves. This initial need then turned into a desire to learn more.
I think that why someone started magick does show a great deal about them, but what shows more is how they then choose to use their power. I do not claim to be an expert by any means, but I know what feels right to me. Though I do not follow a particualr set of believes I do have set guidlines on how to live my life which I have learnt through other religions, teachers and my own experiences. However, although I feel I have my belief sussed I think that one must still keep their minds open as no one person can hold all the knowledge of the world and must therefore except that there is always room to learn. By no mean do I mean that it is OK to change your point of view simply due to others believes or a lack of agreeance with your own, simply that knowlege is a infinatly re-newable resource that we should all take full advantage of. Smile
Back to top Go down
Swords of Night and Day
Swords of Night and Day

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Chi   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 am

As an engineer by trade, I'm very careful in taking things at face value.

When I studied Tai Chi Chuan (The Martial Art that is, not some relaxation-class thingy), the instructor Carl talked at length about Chi, and the techniques to enhance it called Chi Gung.

To begin with I thought "Yeah Right!", but after seeing and feeling the affects I became fascinated.

The sense of energy and well-being developed is a heady mix. (On the down side the bruises, blood and dislocated left shoulder were not so good - ouch!)

Perhaps you guys are tapping into something similar, in practicing magic, something forgotten and very potent. That sounds a pretty good reason to me.

I know next to nothing about magic (or magick - see I told you), which is why I'm very glad to be here, drinking it all in.

Love the vibe of the site, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo
Solvo Phasmatis

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I've often thought that chi and magick are conntected. Both I see as energy forces that are manipulated though unconventional means, but are just as important as things like gravity.
I've been recently getting more interested in chi. If you wouldn't mind, could you set up a thread on it Swords of Night and Day, just to get another explanation/opinion on it? Please! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whats it all for? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it all for?   Whats it all for? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats it all for?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next