Merry Moot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryPortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magic - The True Religion of Man

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

Magic - The True Religion of Man Empty
PostSubject: Magic - The True Religion of Man   Magic - The True Religion of Man Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 7:43 am

I wish I could take credit for writing the article below, but I cannot ... I found it on a site I am a member of (http://magickalgatherings.ning.com/). It certainly resonated with me ... see what you think.

Magick - The True Religion of Man
By David Cherubim

Man needs a Religion of Freedom that affords the liberty to be and do as he Will. In most of the religions of the world, we find we must blindly follow rules of conduct if we desire the divine fruits of the Spirit of Wisdom. Religions treat Man as a babe with no will or mind of his own. This is fatal, beyond all doubt. True religion is Freedom. Anything compromising Freedom is an abomination of Nature. Liberty, not bondage, is the essence of life. To oppose the free course of that universal essence is to invoke madness and chaos, and thus eventually to annihilate one's soul. We need to be free to live in harmony with Nature. Magick, the most Royal Art of Nature, is the path to harmony; thus it is Man's True Religion.

Magick is not a code of ethical conduct, nor is it, in its pure sense, a doctrine. Magick is a fundamental science and art of Nature, by which one fulfills one's Will. It is a general formula for achieving freedom. For instance, suppose it is a man's "free will" to play golf. He purchases suitable golf clubs and some suitable golf balls and he goes to a suitable golf course to fulfill his Will. Magick is as straightforward as this. There is no reason to assign supernatural theories to Magick. Magick involves fundamental processes of Nature, nothing supernatural. Magick is practical; its laws are the laws of nature. It is simple, natural and precise.

Everyday we exercise some form of Magick, though we may not be conscious of this. Magick is the Method of living, especially as witnessed in the Occident. When a man goes to work in the morning, does he not (ordinarily) do so with the intention of fulfilling his Will in some form? This is the Magick that everyone performs on a daily basis. Wherever there is action of the Will, there is Magick. Magick is the art of life itself.

To live in harmony with Nature we must be free. To be free we must do as we Will. Magick is the science of understanding one's True Will and it's relationship to every other Will. It is also the art of applying that understanding. "Know thy Will" is the fundamental axiom for the Divine acquisition of Universal Wisdom and Power—for attaining one's destiny. The Will is the essence of Magick—it is the beginning, middle, and end of the process of Hermetic Initiation. To act in accord with one's True Will is to accomplish the Great Work of the Sages, the Supreme Goal.

The True Will is the principal secret of each individual. Only the individual can discover that Supreme Will in the light of his own inner consciousness. The knowledge of the True Will emerges only from within. Therefore, each must be free to discover that One Will in his own way. No one can teach another his own path in life. It is foolish to believe that anything external can uplift the True Will from its silent abode in the heart. All external things are merely toys that the True Will uses in the scheme of its universal destiny. The True Will is not bound to anything finite, for it is infinite, transcendent, Most High.

The True Will is the True Self in action. Knowing one's True Will, or True Path in the cosmos, is synonymous with knowing one's True Self. Conscious awareness of the True Self is the aim of every type of spiritual and hermetic quest of inner initiation. It is, therefore, essential to discover and exercise one's True Will to attain Truth. Without Truth and its magnificent wisdom, we would live in a jungle of delusion, a hell of deadly confusion.

Magick is the art and science of effecting changes in accordance with the Will. Will is the key to the accomplishment of all Magick, whether material or Divine. You must know your purpose in life before you can direct the forces and currents of Nature. This is a law; no one can deviate from it. A man unwilling to acknowledge and exercise his True Will can never become a Magician. A practical Magician knows what he wants out of life and he does all he can to achieve his goal, for himself and all others concerned. Nothing in Nature resists the Will of the Magician when he knows what he wants and wills what is true. Nature loves the Magician, for he acts only in accordance with Her laws. He never interferes with the free course of the universe. Those who master themselves may easily become masters of Nature. Nature assists one who knows who, what, and why he is. Nature bestows all Her wisdom and glories upon him.

The chief responsibility of one who wishes to "flow with" Nature is not to conflict with Her in any way. Then can he partake of Her infinite riches and create his own destiny according to his own True Will. All changes must be an absolute necessity, changes which help one to discover and apply one's True Will, to fulfill one's universal destiny—the Great Work. The Magical Art is the True Religion of Man in that it is the perfect means by which one achieves the Summum Bonum, True wisdom and perfect happiness.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order
Aoife

PostSubject: Re: Magic - The True Religion of Man   Magic - The True Religion of Man Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 8:44 am

Wow. Thanks for posting this, Sarah. Very Happy Definitly interesting. Have only read it through once and will re-read in a minute. Like the bit about magick being a science, and no more 'supernatural' than anything else in nature.

Am interested in the bit which says "Nothing in Nature resists the Will of the Magician when he knows what he wants and wills what is true. Nature loves the Magician, for he acts only in accordance with Her laws. He never interferes with the free course of the universe. "

Two points on this. One, what does it mean by "wills what is true"? Surely if it's already true then you don't need to will it to happen? I can't make the meaning of 'true' fit the sentence properly, and am beginning to suspect rhetoric. Hmmm....
Two, if the Magician never "interferes with the free course of the universe" then does that mean he has no effect on anything? If he does have an effect it must be that which was 'supposed' to happen. This implies that there is a set course that the universe is supposd to take, which implies determinism (go look it up on wikipedia if you don't know) which is incompatible with free will, which is a major theme of the essay. Okay, so there are some theories which try to unite free will with determinism, but they're not very convincing.

What does anyone else think?

(PS - Yes, in case you're wondering, I've just come out of a philosophy lecture where we had a huge debate about induction and falsification theories. Was awesome. I remember when we used to have debates on the forum and realised that we hadn't had one for ages, so if anyone feels like jumping in please do.)
Back to top Go down
http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Nos Llew-Blaidd
Nos Llew-Blaidd

PostSubject: Re: Magic - The True Religion of Man   Magic - The True Religion of Man Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 11:29 am

hello long time no read aoife

firstly to your comments i agree if the magician does not interfere with the true course of the universe he has no magic to effect it.

secondly i agree with the part you must know thy self to actively have an effect with any form of magic done, i have only just recently found my true path and am still contemplating some personal issues to help me move forward but i know myself.

as for your comment about your lecture i wish i was there sounds interesting Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sanctuaryforheartandmind.webs.com/
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!
LunarCraft

PostSubject: Re: Magic - The True Religion of Man   Magic - The True Religion of Man Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:00 pm

OK ... where's Zephron when you need him??? lol!

I can, indeed, see what you are saying Aoife and an interesting debate should (hopefully) ensue. Meanwhile, I am going to contemplate further on the points made and see if I can fit it into my little world!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic - The True Religion of Man   Magic - The True Religion of Man Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic - The True Religion of Man
Page 1 of 1